Principles of Community Organizing Training
Wednesday-Saturday, July 19 through 22
220 South 27th St, Billings, MT
WORC’s Principles of Community Organizing (POCO) training develops skills of leaders and staff to build powerful community organizations and launch winning issue campaigns. The hands-on workshop covers the basics of leadership, fundraising, organizational development, and community organizing. Fee is $100 for approved* members of WORC’s member groups (including Western Colorado Congress) and $500 for non-members. Apply here!
*Contact the WCC office at (970) 256-7650 to see if you qualify.
D3 Indivisible Summit
Friday, July 21 at 9:00 am to 5:00 pm
4-H Event Center, 22739 Hwy 50, Ridgway
WCC is partnering with D3 Indivisible to bring you trainings on community organizing and social activism. Come build relationships with leaders and activists from across the district, and learn what is working Colorado’s rural communities. Click here to learn more and register.
Make a trip of it! Thursday evening, we’ll have a pre-summit social right before an awesome free concert in Ridgway’s town park. Following the summit on Friday, we’ll continue the fun with an evening BBQ – which takes you into the weekend with the San Juan Mountains to explore! Click here to learn more and register.
Give voice to the Forest!
The Grand Mesa, Uncompahgre and Gunnison National Forest Service has announced it will finally begin revising the GMUG Forest Plan. Initial public open houses are planned for July-August in many communities surrounding the Forest. Mark your calendar now for the open house closest to you:
- Delta: Tuesday, July 25 from 5:30 – 7:30 pm. Lincoln Elementary School Kiva, 1050 Hastings St.
- Gunnison: Thursday, July 27 from 5:30 – 7:30 pm. Field Western Heritage Center, VanTuyl Room, 275 S Spruce St #A
- Ridgway: Tuesday, August 1 from 5:30 – 7:30 pm. 4H Center, Sneffels Room, 22739 US Hwy 550
- Grand Junction: Thursday, August 3 from 5:30 – 7:30 pm. Lincoln Park Barn, 910 N 12th St.
- Telluride: Thursday, August 10 from 5:30 – 7:30 pm. Wilkinson Public Library, 100 W Pacific Ave.
- Montrose: Monday, August 14 from 5:30 – 7:30 pm. Montrose High School Cafeteria, 600 S Selig St.
- Lake City: Tuesday, August 15 from 4:30 – 6:30 pm. Lake City Community School Common Space, 614 Silver St.
- Saguache: Thursday, August 17 from 4:30 – 6:30 pm. Road and Bridge meeting room, 305 3rd St.
You Are Here: Creating a Road Map When the Political Landscape Won’t Hold Still
WCC’s Annual Conference
Saturday, August 26 at 9:00 am to 5:30 pm
Two Rivers Conference Center, Grand Junction
As our keynote speaker, Shasti Conrad will delve into “The National Landscape: What This Political Moment Means for the Grassroots”. Plus you’ll have two rounds of workshops to choose from on topics from “Immigration: Our Role in the Journey” to “Putting Our Work on the Map”. Register and learn more about the conference here!
Mountainfilm on Tour
Friday, September 29 at 6:30 pm
Avalon Theatre, Grand Junction
We’re moving this great event from November to September 29 — be sure to mark your calendar now so you don’t miss it! If you want to be part of our planning team – that is, watch and help select the films, plan the event logistics, and engage our community – please contact Marie Mitchell at (970) 256-7650 or marie(at)wccongress.org.