Western Colorado Congress (WCC) is a grassroots, democratic organization dedicated to challenging injustice by organizing people to increase their power over decisions that affect their lives. WCC’s community groups and members work together to create healthy, sustainable communities, social and economic justice, environmental stewardship and a truly democratic society.
A Western Slope that works for everybody, and community leaders and movements that are empowered to keep it that way.
- True grassroots democracy. A fundamental aspect of our work is to be an advocate for democracy in the places where we live. We believe that democracy works properly only when ordinary folks have a voice in the way decisions are made and who gets to make them, and that strengthening our democracy is the most patriotic thing we can do.
- Fairness. We’re guided by the goal of a more equitable, compassionate society – one where public policy is guided by the public good. We’re a watchdog for social, economic and environmental justice. We work to reform unfair power structures in our communities, our state and our region.
- Forward-looking leadership and civic engagement. We challenge the laissez-faire, status-quo-perpetuating style of governance that passes for leadership across much of western Colorado. We offer an inspiring vision of what our communities can become, and we build the political will for it by developing and supporting responsive, activist leaders and a more engaged electorate.
- Positive solutions. We bring people together around a shared vision for our communities and the Western Slope. Our approach is pragmatic: we seek common-ground, common-sense solutions that work for the community as a whole. We don’t believe it’s a zero-sum game where someone has to lose in order for someone else to win.
- Political power, not partisanship. Rather than siding with the party that looks friendliest on our issues, we strive to make our issues nonpartisan so that both parties embrace them and the only fight is about how to do it. That’s how real, lasting change happens. Likewise, we hold all decision-makers accountable to their constituents, regardless of party.
- Inclusiveness. We aspire to create a broad-based movement whose strength derives from the diversity of its members and the inclusiveness of its culture. We’re committed to being the change we want to see in the world by modeling cooperative decision-making, respectful dialog and civic engagement through WCC’s own structures and behavior.